Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rabbit

I want me a Renegade

Well, no words can describe the community's hatred for C&C4. Meh? I can think of other adjectives, if you want...

Let's see, umm... Abomination, freak of nature, monstrosity, aberration... And I think everyone else can come up with more adjectives. But it still won't be enough to describe our hatred of C&C4.

Now that you mention it, some fantasy terminology might work (my brother makes a glossary of those :P ). Scum, defiler...

EA will milk those games for like, what, 7 years or so?

What do you mean by this?

Work of heresy. Those on the EA team that worked on it were heretics. Kane should've had them burned by a Flame Tank. Or at least walked over by an Avatar.

And about milking... Well, notice how even a decade-old (or rather, OLDER) game (Tiberian Dawn) was re-sold by EA a decade after its release. I mean, I could get a bootleg of that game easy. But EA decides to sell it anyway, along with all other games I already have, and call it the "First Decade." I mean, come on, its either people already have those games or can just DL 'em off the net easy. But EA still sells them... Squeezing every dollar out of the classics.

rSquar3d, you seem to have forgotten this.

I mean, I could get a bootleg of that game easy. But EA decides to sell it anyway, along with all other games I already have, and call it the "First Decade." I mean, come on, its either people already have those games or can just DL 'em off the net easy. But EA still sells them... Squeezing every dollar out of the classics.

That doesn't even make sense, you are using the simplicity of stealing their products as a reason to accuse them of milking the franchise?

I don't disagree they are milking it, I have yet to see any evidence that Generals wasn't just riding the C&C name, but it is ludicrous to use the easy theft alternative as an example of how they are milking the series.

That'd be like saying big name companies should stop selling their expensive name brand products because you can easily get a cheap illegal knock off in a dark back alley.

Guest Stevie_K

rSquar3d.

I think your'e looking at this from the wrong perspective. Just because a game is old and illegally available for download through piracy networks on the internet, does not mean the copyright owner should give it away for free. That's like saying that all old movies (brilliant or horrible) should be available for free if they are available for download through a piracy network etc.

I understand why you see TFD as "milking" the classics, but in the end I see nothing wrong with them selling a pack with 12 games of that caliber for such a reasonable price.

You can buy it or don't, simple as that.

Erm. Three of those are already freeware, as far as things seem; point of selling: none (except for aforementioned milking). And although the IP is EA's we can consider that those supposed to be truly benefiting from that IP (read: Westwood), don't. But, I seem to have gone about it the wrong way. I said I could, but I wouldn't and didn't. Hey, hey, I'm aware of the implications of piracy... Part of the reason why the industry's having a hard time. I buy games legally; all I was trying was to point out the futility of selling freeware (an irony) and games that, well, have already been sold to masses...?

Apologies for going about it the wrong way. >.<

No, having all C&C's on one disc is the best thing ever >:(

Three of those are already freeware, as far as things seem; point of selling: none (except for aforementioned milking).

You seem to be forgetting that they weren't freeware yet when the First Decade came out...

Indeed.

Guest Stevie_K

I personally think it's nice to have even though there's many compatibility problems, missing patches and so on.

I wouldn't mind the oldies being available on Steam as well though.

HAHAHA. Not the way TFD was put on one disk :lol:

Guest Stevie_K
HAHAHA. Not the way TFD was put on one disk :lol:

The way the idea was executed turned out horrible yes :P

It's a comfortable feeling knowing that you have the games in the physical form of discs though.

^ heh, agreed with both of you. Just trying to get all my Renegade stuff to work with TFD was a pain, and I never bothered with modding or the rest of the 11 games.

I'd be cool with a Generals 2, but a new IP would be ideal I think. And because it hasn't been said enough in here: Renegade 2 or its equivalent needs to be made by some department of EA. Just too good of a game not to have a sequel =/

Hmm,

Speculating on the Stellar thing:

If you think for a while that in our solar system, each planet/moon has a different prevailing resource and at the same way you have different radical environments, if you set the new game in an imaginary solar system (far away), each planet will be a different "game universe". Something like Command and Conquer "Andromeda". I mean, a tank that performs well in one planet, wil not work in another or even "better", handicapped but useful in a third planet (sorry for the RTS vice). They just have to keep the criteria.

Also, on each planet they can invent the prevailing resource like Tiberium was imaginative for CnC95. And in a greater scale, for the future of this "game universe" you can combine them to explain why they were so pursued along the franchise.

But, besides the Sci-Fi appealing, puting a paralel political conspiracy with our real world would be also interesting.

I mean, the CnC95 universe is pretty much a narcowar - one "resource", discipline low budget mercenaires playing goodguys (Colombian and Mexican army) , ideologists underdogs playing badguys (farcs and the drug dealers). The factions and subfactions could be a paralel with our western and middle east groups, where the political geography doesn't meet the economical geography. It would be simple and sophisticated at the same time for a storyline - you won't have a side for too long.

If Victory games spends more time now on the structure of this universe, rather than lauching it ASAP, they might avoid the brand erosion that happened to the other C&C games, if it's that what they want. But that will depends on EA's corporate strategy.

Edited by Solo

Guest Stevie_K

Excellent idea. I actually hope Victory games dishes up with a new universe, perhaps in the manner you explained. Question is if they are capable, both in terms of the corporate strategy, but also in terms of being able to launch a new universe and stick to it without half-assing it here and there.

Nice one, Solo! But I think you're overestimating Victory Games and their level of imagination.

Guest Stevie_K

C&C is not in a healthy state for experimenting with ground braking new RTS features, or perhaps it is? (good arguments for both).

Problem is, that in general, the fans seems to expect two things at the same time. Which is that C&C returns to it's place where it sat a standard for what RTS is, and at the same time keeping all the fundamental C&C elements that fans endorse (harvesting, basebuilding aso.).

I really see how this project will be difficult to unfold. Especially when it is expected by fans that the production meets both criteria (and even more).

What would make the whole process better I think, is if Victory Games are likely to start on a new universe (perhaps in same style as Solo presented).

In that way, it would likely become a much more "free" production, where fans can't expect as much, as if it's a continuation on a previous storyline, and the developers can focus on creating something new and original (and perhaps even ground braking for the RTS genre).

I sense that the large part of the demands and expectations fans have, are over the top, and purely based on a craving for the old nostalgia in a new setting with better graphics. Why not create something new and original, that will someday be able to give you the same nostalgic rush, as the oldies gives us now?

I hope I'm not the only one thinking in this direction? :)

For Genre, I think another FPS could be done really well. Either a Battlefield style one, or a squad based shooter. Something with a larger scale than 16v16 cap.

For storyline, I would prefer Tiberium. After Red Alert 2, I lost interest due to the overcamping. RA1 had some serious dark tones to it, and felt serious. RA2 traded that for jokes.

For mechanics, my favorite RTS is Emperor Battle For Dune, with powerful infantry, in depth unit tactics, and completely different factions. More explanation and detail later.

I think we will Get a Generals Style game again, and if we are lucky we will get another FPS they should base it on the RA franchise that should go down well. if they do it right we can get those before the next Decade compilation set!

I wouldn't mind another Generals-style game if they did it right. Some kind of customizable upgrade system (a la GLA except you choose the upgrades) would be fantastic. Another cool feature would be a more interactive (and choice-based) campaign map, possibly adapting features from BFME 2's War of the Ring, or the Total War series. League of Legends has done a good job with their Summoner Spell/Rune system, and parts of that might be possibly to incorporate too.

Regardless of the RTS they make, I'm still waiting for an FPS / C&C Mode game; I'd enjoy that more than any number of RTS's.