Sign in to follow this  
Malevolence

Mozilla Firefox Official Thread

ff9.png

CLICK HERE to download the latest Firefox 9.0.

What’s New in Firefox

The latest version of Firefox has the following changes:

- Two finger swipe navigation for Mac OS X Lion

- Support for querying Do Not Track status via JavaScript

- Support for font-stretch

- Improved support for text-overflow

- Improved standards support for HTML5, MathML, and CSS

- Fixes for several stability and security issues

Edited by Malevolence

I'll just wait for the auto update. What I have works fine.

Still don't understand why Mozilla changed their versions numbers and move through them so fast now. Version 4, 5 and now 6 have such minor improvements it hardly warrants a major version number change.

Yeah, I saw no difference between 4.0 and 5.0. What do I expect from 6.0 tomorrow? More of the same.

The improvements aren't front-end improvements. They're all behind the scenes from what I can tell. A lot of web developer support rather than user experience. Why they can't bundle it into an update is beyond me, but there is a lot going on that most people don't, and will never, see.

I still haven't updated to 5.0. So I might just skip to 6. :P

They're getting worse than the Linux Mint developers who go up a version number every 6 months. This is in comparison to other distro developers who go up a whole integer every 12 months, and prefer to increment their version numbers bi-annually.

It's really an open source numbers bandwagon.

They're probably gunning and gathering pace for version 10. I imagine at that landmark they'll unveil a bigger, faster, better Firefox browser. Which is more highly cloud compatible, boasts the latest bleeding edge features in Internet developments, a better more intuitive GUI, and all that other crap I couldn't really care about. Because I use Chromium anyway.

No doubt they'll do something pointless too. Like re-launch it as Firefo'X' because the X in the name, as a version number is so nerdy, it's cool... Or some stupid **** like that.

i only just updated to version 5 WTF, i am suck of the forever updates, i only updated by mistake come on!

Meh. I'll just wait for Firefox 7 at the end of this year and possibly Firefox 12 at the end of 2012. :rolleyes:

For the record, Adblock works with 6.0, but Java doesn't.

Just updated to Firefox 6.0.... and holy ****..... its the same as 4 and 5. Please stop Mozilla. The real version number should be 4.03 or something like that.

Just updated to Firefox 6.0.... and holy ****..... its the same as 4 and 5. Please stop Mozilla. The real version number should be 4.03 or something like that.

I had a feeling Mozilla is doing the same way Google is doing. Upgrading a new version very two-three months. Pathetic. :mad:

Gee I wish one day some people will boycott and sue Mozilla for the confusing versions of Firefox. This is bugging plug-in apps.

And it gets even worse, Mozilla decided to drop the version number for future releases of Firefox:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/921...sparks_backlash

Oh, the madness!!

Edited by zocom7

sue Mozilla for the confusing versions of Firefox.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

I'm ready to jump ship (to other promising browsers) if Firefox still don't show any form of significant improvements and continuously bombard with some crazy stunts. Multiple version numbers that showed little improvements, and now going to drop labelling of version numbers. Seriously wtf? Mozilla what are you doing? Are you ok?

I want to know what Mozilla is doing... Cmon... In the comparation of Firefox 3.6 to 4.0 i can see a lot of instabilities and issues... It is using 120-200mb of RAM PER page in 4.0... i just migrated to Chrome then. I hope they improve that, so i can back to firefox ¬¬

Well, maybe Firefox team like the IE cakes, where they send it when a new version of firefox is relased. :P

and now going to drop labelling of version numbers.

This isn't actually true. Yes, there is talk of removing the version number from the About box, but that's about it. There will still be a version numeration system. However, I don't think removing the version number from the About box is a good idea since that's literally a ****ing standard. And I do agree that Mozilla needs to slow the hell down and stop with the version jumps already. This makes it difficult for developers and users alike. I don't care what they think is trendy or "hip." They need to cut it the hell out.

Firefox 7 and 8 this year

Official release day was August 16th and the way things are going the successor simply called Firefox 7 might launch as soon as September 27 2011. This is just some six weeks away and Mozilla blog has revealed that Firefox 7 uses less memory compared to Firefox 4, 5 or 6 and that on average it needs 20 to 30 percent less, and sometimes even 50 percent less. Naturally this means that Firefox 7 is faster and it should also be more stable. Firefox 8 also needs even less memory than Firefox 7, but the difference is not so dramatic. Firefox 8 should enter Beta status on September 27 and it is currently scheduled for November 8th 2011 release date.

Why not make 6.1 that will use as little memory as the announced FF8 ???? Making two separate versions for basically the same thing is insane.

As much as I like Firefox I've given up caring about what ever version number they are up to.

For what I know about these browsers now:

Firefox 4 = Firefox 4.0

Firefox 5 = Firefox 4.1

Firefox 6 = Firefox 4.2

Firefox 7 = Firefox 4.5

Firefox 8 = Firefox 4.6

Firefox 9 = Firefox 4.7

Firefox 10 = perhaps Firefox 5 by then

If there's only a few things that are significantly new, I presume these recent Firefox versions nearly the same as Firefox 4.

Still to be determined, what are the download stats for Firefox 5 and 6 now?

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Mozilla said they'll be releasing Firefox 7 by November. Unfortunately they released it way earlier than that, it's today. Now a possibility for a Firefox 9 may soon be here by Christmas and a new record of new versions done in one year is just........a whole lot of just a few improvements and no major changes........

Still I think now this looks and feels more like Firefox 4.3 BTW. By December, Firefox 4.5. :mellow:

Edited by zocom7

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Mozilla said they'll be releasing Firefox 7 by November. Unfortunately they released it way earlier than that, it's today. Now a possibility for a Firefox 9 may soon be here by Christmas and a new record of new versions done in one year is just........a whole lot of just a few improvements and no major changes........

Still I think now this looks and feels more like Firefox 4.3 BTW. By December, Firefox 4.5. :mellow:

Thank you zocom7 for the updated news on Firefox 7! Honestly, there isn't any visible difference when using Firefox. The reviews, on the other hand, seemed positive, not sure if that is biased or bull****?!

Edited by Malevolence

QUOTE (Doctor Destiny @ Wednesday 28th September 2011 10:48 AM)

I'm still on version five. They're not breaking my addons

All of my addons still work, but then I only have 2 wink.gif

odnmh.png

Here's something new for v7.0,

Vfm8J.png

Usage Statistics (also known as Telemetry). Beginning with version 7, Firefox includes functionality that is turned off by default to send to Mozilla non-personal usage, performance, and responsiveness statistics about user interface features, memory, and hardware configuration. The only Potentially Personal Information sent to Mozilla when this functionality has been enabled is IP addresses. Usage statistics are transmitted using SSL (a method of protecting data in transit) and help us improve future versions of Firefox. Once sent to Mozilla, usage statistics are stored in an aggregate form and made available to a broad range of developers, including both Mozilla employees and public contributors. Once this functionality is enabled, users can disable it in Firefox's Options/Preferences. Simply deselect the "Submit performance data" item.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/legal/privacy....html#telemetry