Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

The Command & Conquer Name Game

The Command & Conquer Name Game  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What should we call the new Command & Conquer?

• Command & Conquer - Free to Play (C&C - Free to Play)
    • Command & Conquer 2013 (C&C 2013)
    • Command & Conquer F2P (C&C F2P)
    • Command & Conquer Online (C&C Online)
    • Command & Conquer Live (C&C Live)
    • Command & Conquer (C&C)
    • Something else (please specify)

This is just a quick poll to determine how we, as staff, should refer to the new Command & Conquer. For awhile now we have be using the names Command & Conquer - Free to Play and C&C - Free to Play in our news posts. I've seen some people who dislike this style of naming. So vote in the poll and tell us what you would like to see. We will then take action if we agree.

Officially the new game is really just "Command & Conquer", the live service. But since CNCNZ.com is a multi-C&C site we need something here to differentiate between this new C&C and the original C&C.

Other than C&C Online, I would consider having the "Generals 2" subtitle name back since most of the content we're seeing so far is Generals related. Otherwise I would also consider calling this C&C Arena.

But it doesn't matter, EA still refuse to recall the Generals 2 name.

Edited by zocom7

I would ordinarily just go with what they call it, but like Sonic says, we already have a game with that name - it's a problem I agree.

I would go for just adding "2013" for brevity's sake, but for a clear and simple distinction.

But it bothers me none.

I went for C&C Online. C&C 2013 is good for wiki purposes, but not for an environment where you need to write that all the time.

Other than C&C Online, I would consider having the "Generals 2" subtitle name back since most of the content we're seeing so far is Generals related. Otherwise I would also consider calling this C&C Arena.

Maybe because Generals 2 is only a sub-game? :facepalm:

Agreed, even though I would like to refer to it as C&C 2013, the thing is that it's now an online service aiming to reboot segments of the C&C brand (universes, starting with Generals). I went with C&C Online since it gives a very accurate outlook on the situation and maintains the "new" C&C service as one that holds all universes under it's name. News posting under a much larger name such as C&C Online would be fairly easy and adaptable to any situation should another C&C universe get it's reboot among other things.

On a side note, I would just like the F2P moved away from C&C's name so it doesn't look as though CNCNZ's news is primarily focused on advertising the payment aspect of the game/service. That being said, I'm very pleased with what this poll is trying to do.

This game is not Generals 2, its the new C&C live service starting with the Generals universe. And in no way, shape or form would we use the Arena name. That was an entirely different and cancelled project.

I went for C&C Online. C&C 2013 is good for wiki purposes, but not for an environment where you need to write that all the time.

Maybe because Generals 2 is only a sub-game? :facepalm:

When Generals 2 was announced/re-announced as the new C&C live service we did start calling it C&C 2013 around the site, in the news etc.... but like you mentioned, it became tedious using it and having 2013 all over the site like that. Hence the adoption of the "Free to Play" tag.

On a side note, I would just like the F2P moved away from C&C's name so it doesn't look as though CNCNZ's news is primarily focused on advertising the payment aspect of the game/service.

Really? Your the first person who made such a comment like that.

Recently I've just been calling it the "New Command & Conquer" or "New C&C". That's my vote.

All of this could have been avoided if the new C&C service was given a proper name/title by the developers or publishers without any conflict regarding the first game (Tiberian Dawn). The same stupid situation has me facepalming regarding the new Star Wars: Battlefront (3!) - which again, has the same name as the first one, so I'm a little upset since its a HUGE problem to add a number at the end of the title. The easy way out would have been, ofcourse, to just name a game accordingly to start with, then we wouldn't even be having this C&C "problem".

I'll set my own personal negative feelings aside for now. They're creeping in into my opinions lately and I feel as though C&C has been degraded and isn't getting the required attention (regarding details) it should. I grew up with those games so it's only natural that I feel strongly about stuff that appears as a fail in my eyes. So whatever we call the new service is fine as long as it's not C&C F2P.

The question that keeps popping in and out of my head is what happens when somebody asks you what game you're playing and you reply with "the new C&C game" or "C&C free to play". That sounds terrible and the problem lies with the reboot not having a definitive name, it's just riding on old glory and trying to appeal to a newer generation of gamers which most likely haven't even played classics such as TibDawn or TibSun (not strictly a fact, though). How do we say to someone that we are playing the Generals segment in the new C&C live service in a simple yet effective way and what happens if another universe gets rebooted at that... so if a friend asks me what am I playing I should respond with: "oh I'm playing the new Command and Conquer game, more specifically the Generals setting". That's just too much. And if a friend asks me a follow up question, something like "so what is the game called, I want to try it out" and I respond with "Command & Conquer" and get a strange look since that's just a generic series title and not a specific game name, well, all I can say to stuff like that is: why make it simple when it can be confusing? (EA's new slogan/motto, obviously)

Edited by AZ-Stalker
  • Upvote 1

On CnCSaga.com, we chose to say or CnC or CnC (2013), like Victory Games, but no more use "Free2Play"

All of this could have been avoided if the new C&C service was given a proper name/title by the developers or publishers without any conflict regarding the first game (Tiberium Dawn).

Tiberian Dawn, actually.

When you think about it you would have to be really stupid to get the new C&C mixed up with original C&C anyway.

• Upvote 1

It's really stupid that they refuse to give it a real name, so I think that kind of makes it even.

• Upvote 1

All of this could have been avoided if the new C&C service was given a proper name/title by the developers or publishers without any conflict regarding the first game (Tiberian Dawn). The same stupid situation has me facepalming regarding the new Star Wars: Battlefront (3!) - which again, has the same name as the first one, so I'm a little upset since its a HUGE problem to add a number at the end of the title. The easy way out would have been, of course, to just name a game accordingly to start with, then we wouldn't even be having this C&C "problem".

When you think about it you would have to be really stupid to get the new C&C mixed up with original C&C anyway.

I agree. +2

I don't know much about the model, but if the additional buyable generals have an advantage, then perhaps "Pay and Conquer" would be more appropriate :)

Command and Conquer Global Crisis

Command and Conquer: Generals Playgrounds

Neo Command and Conquer / Command and Conquer: Propagandian Dawn (Sorri for my english Jokes there is no such english words called 'Propagandian'. i just follow the example of Tiberian Dawn)

or

Command and Conquer: Ego Dawn.

since everybody lives under Communism, liberal, and Democracy and Religion clashing in this world and bickering each other which propanda or lifes are is better

or bit a joke

Command and Conquer : Evil Arts Dawn

I

Edited by Autobahn27

You'd be surprised how many people I've seen posting Generals issues in C&C1 forum sections :eyebrow:

GR has just been calling it Generals 2

Im sure that closer to the Release EA will give it a "Official" title and thats the one everyone will go with

Though it will be interesting whether they will just keep it as Command and Conquer because that will cause some confusion

Im sure that closer to the Release EA will give it a "Official" title

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath...