In the latest update on the C&C remasters (this time official!), Jim Vessella takes it to the video format for the first time since the original announcement to address one of the most pressing questions among the members of the community - how the ingame cutscenes will be managed.

• Like 1

Too bad they weren't able to get a hold of the raw footage. The upscaling isn't horrific, though it does get a bit wonky in some spots, like the truck driving up the hill.

• Upvote 1

I was always wondering how they were going to address this. It is very sad that they couldn't find the full raw film footage. Obviously storing this stuff wasn't as much a high priority back then because backing these things up was super expensive and I guess this was a thing back in the early and even the not-so-early days of game development. Things have to be sacrificed, including source codes and footage like this. I guess there is a bright spot with today's game development is that it is a A LOT easier to back things up and archive them for possible future use and for historical purposes.

As for the process they are doing it is a nice step up at least. It isn't going to be perfect but they did more than alright with what they had to work with. Finding all the behind the scenes stuff is actually quite a nice bonus that I'm glad they are going to add to the remaster. :)

Posted (edited)

I really dislike big game-related corporations throwing historic stuff away (without even considering the fans). The Westwood locker was sent to be DESTROYED. That hurts. So I'm happy about the people involved that saved all that Westwood treasure and stored it away. My primary interest is seeing Tiberian Sun FMVs and anything else that can be dug up in higher quality, so I'm hoping that too will see the light of day at some point.

Edited by AZ-Stalker

The FMVs were super good, but the graphic cutscenes -- I was expecting bit more i.e. remaking them with modern graphics. Bit disappointed on that.

I have mixed feelings about this. The neural upscale certainly did a great job, but the Allied cutscene shown in the reveal made a slightly odd impression on me. As if the upscale somehow made the live action part look less professional and more of a homemade VHS tape. The actors seem to stand out more against the digitized background compared to the low-res originals (maybe some sharpening was involved during upscale), and generally I got the feeling almost as if you're looking at raw footage that has not been processed yet, and not the final product.

Also some parts of the frames appear blurry in the upscale, e.g. in certain frames Von Esling's eyes look very blurry.

If this is not my imagination overall, perhaps the upscaled videos may yet be improved with some post-processing while staying true to the originals.