Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

First C&C 4 Gamplay Videos from IgroMir 2009

It works absolutely fine on widescreen.

-APOC

It does indeed.

normal_screen10.jpg

Its not even close to taking up half the screen as some of you guys think.

... I can also confirm we haven't had a single complaint about using the horizontal UI. -APOC

"I'd like to register a complaint about the horizontal UI. I would prefer a side-bar orientation, for practicalities sake (widescreen configuration), and also as a nod to the C&C roots of the universe."

"I'd like to register a complaint about the horizontal UI. I would prefer a side-bar orientation, for practicalities sake (widescreen configuration), and also as a nod to the C&C roots of the universe."

Count me in. I would like to lodge a complaint in regards to horizontal bottom UI as well! :2cents:

Edited by Malevolence

I like the happen to like the Horizontal UI, it looks good and fits with the overall game.

Count me in too, I prefer the sidebar instead. It's just not C&C when the horizontal bar is in use. After all, I encounter numerous RTS, they all use horizontal, sidebar is only C&C has it, no other game has.

Remember, if EA & C&C doesn't want to use the sidebar from now onwards, other RTS games will surely take advantage of that and then boom, you can never claim it back again, suing the competitor will not work.

Yes I'm sure the sidebar is that bigger asset to EA :rolleyes:

Looking at sonic's screenshot it doesn't look like a sidebar would work very well at all.

if (thats a HUGE IF) both side and horizontal bars will be ever made, the CnC 4 Will NOT be the first RTS ever have done this

Supream Commander is the Best UI example, it support muti user interface both horizontal and vertical, slim and fat, details and preview, generally its really cool and i think in SC2 thay are thinking of making it drag and drop able too!

and in SC1 also there are some modes that you can do it what ever you want!

layout-mix.jpg

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Looking at sonic's screenshot it doesn't look like a sidebar would work very well at all.

Why not have a look first at this somewhat old photo shopped image then? (Made back when we only had magazine pictures!)

sidebary.jpg

I think a sidebar would look fine... if not completely better.

Oh snap... that looks so sexy in comparison!

(I tried to create a funny CSI Miami picture to show my Yeaaah feeling to this picture... but every attempt feel flat!)

My take is on the sidebar as usual, not just because it's still C&C, my reason is the unnecessary attention it attracts is much lower compare to using the horizontal bar.

As for Supreme Commander, scratch that, their left sidebar don't count. If an RTS uses a right sidebar, angry C&C fans claim it'll be like a C&C ripoff. AND if C&C4 and future C&Cs don't use the sidebar later on, new RTS made by competitors will use the right sidebar and in the end, EA have no right to sue them and claim it belongs to us. So right now, it's still EA's, but if you don't use the sidebar for C&C4, later on it'll become vulnerable for RTS competitors to grab the opportunity to steal it and turn the whole right sidebar into public property rather than EA's property.

Think about it, that counts for the dev team themselves.

Sexiness and in-game-use-functionality are two completely different things. You can't have one and not the other.

-APOC

Sexiness and in-game-use-functionality are two completely different things. You can't have one and not the other.

-APOC

True, but C&C3 and RA3 proved that sidebar is more functional than any bottombar in almost any RTS game.

True, but C&C3 and RA3 proved that sidebar is more functional than any bottombar in almost any RTS game.

I follow with this.

I heard many people who played generals, who i introduced to the older C&C's (Or who played C&C3) saying that the sidebar was better then bottombar

I think all this sidebar nonsense is harsh, i mean, they did a move back to the generals style of the horizontal bar, and it works well, very well.

This is like people moaning about all the stuff they wanted in C&C3, yet, it turned out very well and people enjoyed it, nothing was said afterwords...

Who cares about the sidebar, just as long as its functional and gets the job done, I am all good.

Edited by Malovolpe

-APOC

FYI I personally feel that sidebar is more practical and functional than the generic bottombar interface.

Sidebar... always pwns... the bottombar.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Oh snap... that looks so sexy in comparison!

Looks more like a C&C game, doesn't it?

This is like people moaning about all the stuff they wanted in C&C3, yet, it turned out very well and people enjoyed it, nothing was said afterwords...

Nothing was said afterwards? Uh... people gripe about C&C3 unto this very day, although since there is more to gripe about concerning C&C4, it is less predominant.

???

Where have you been all these years since was C&C3 released?

Nothing was said afterwards? Uh... people gripe about C&C3 unto this very day, although since there is more to gripe about concerning C&C4, it is less predominant.

I agree.

In the community is where i have been, and perhaps to say that people said nothing afterwords, but the moaning did decrease...

but the moaning did decrease...

Which is to be expected. When the next C&C title is announced, C&C4 moaning will decrease. It doesn't mean the game suddenly became better, it merely means it has taken lower priority.

I think he meant it decreased when the game was released.

I think he meant it decreased when the game was released.

Even so, at that point moaning doesn't do any good anymore, it is after the fact.

The horizontal UI sidebar may be just the beginning of future C&C games ever since C&C Generals first adapted that from Blizzard's Warcraft III. :rolleyes:

And still no sign of Tiberium harvesting in the gameplay. Where're the numerous tiberium on the map(s)?

The horizontal UI sidebar may be just the beginning of future C&C games ever since C&C Generals first adapted that from Blizzard's Warcraft III. :rolleyes:

And still no sign of Tiberium harvesting in the gameplay. Where're the numerous tiberium on the map(s)?

HEY HEY HEY, excuse me! I don't think the horizontal bar will be the replacement of the sidebar. EVERY RTS games you play are all horizontal bars, C&C is definitely NOT an RTS with a horizontal bar to blend in with the rest. Overall, NO WAY, JOSE!!