Recently (12 August 2009)i installed from TFD, Generals Zero hour for some old good fights after i saw in you tube the Generals Trailer 1 at E3 that made me wanna revisit that game.
Now i am running Windows 7 x64 and after installation the program didnt run.
so here is what you should do to make it run
- Make sure you have the latest DirectX 9.0c installed, you can Google it or get it from Microsoft
- make sure you have windows 7 service pack 1 at least installed!
- make sure you have the LATEST Graphic Drivers installed for your VGA Card and that meets the game's requirements!
- make sure that both Generals and Zero hour its on its latest patch version! TFD should be updated!
(must be a clean installation no other MODS etc!)
- into your "user" directory (named with your user account yeah you know there where you see the folder my pictures, my music etc)
- in there go to "My Documents"
- well there after trying to run the game you would see a Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data folder.
- open it.
- right click and creat new empty .TXT file and rename it options.ini
(make sure you see the extension .txt and you dont end up having a stupid file named options.ini.txt!) if you dont know how to see the files extension in windows 7, google it or get an xbox to play
- now copy the following lines inside and Save it!
***also some LOD settings may not work with your VGA card! remove those lines if you cant run the game!****
AntiAliasing = 1 BuildingOcclusion = yes CampaignDifficulty = 0 DynamicLOD = yes ExtraAnimations = yes GameSpyIPAddress = 0.0.0.0 Gamma = 50 HeatEffects = yes IPAddress = 0.0.0.0 IdealStaticGameLOD = Low LanguageFilter = false MaxParticleCount = 5000 MusicVolume = 55 Resolution = 1366 768 Retaliation = yes SFX3DVolume = 79 SFXVolume = 71 ScrollFactor = 60 SendDelay = no ShowSoftWaterEdge = yes ShowTrees = yes StaticGameLOD = Custom TextureReduction = 0 UseAlternateMouse = yes UseCloudMap = yes UseDoubleClickAttackMove = no UseLightMap = yes UseShadowDecals = yes UseShadowVolumes = yes VoiceVolume = 70
- then Right Click on your Generals / Zero hour Sortcut (if you dont have make one), in widows 7 most games make there sortcuts into the "GAMES" menu in Start Menu
- and in the Compatibility Tab just select Windows XP sp3 and click "Run as administrator" option too (if you are not an admin)
- thats it go inside change your settings and restart the game.
other alternative simplier solution:
- windows 7 x64 SP1 (service pack1 is crusial!)
- clean install of the game and patch to latest versions!
- change compatibility of the main .exe to Windows XP sp3 (so that the main menu shellmap works ok)
- run the game for 1st time and during this run go to setting and change everything you want! (besides resolution)
- then exit game and locate the options.ini i told you before in your Documents\Generals zrohour data\ folder
- change there only the resolution line to your screen's native. (ex Resolution = 1366 768)
- save and rerun the game. you are done!
have fun thats an order!
and wait for Generals 2
Edited by Johnnyxp64, Saturday, 21 April 2012 - 11:16 AM.