Alex06

Command & Conquer Will Have Single Player After All

In an interview posted at The Verge, EA's Frank Gibeau has revealed that the new Command & Conquer will indeed have a Single Player campaign, whereas before, the answer had been an ominous "maybe". According to Gibeau, this is all due to feedback given by the community.

Ql5JY.png

Here's a snippet of the interview:

When Command & Conquer: Generals 2 made the transition to free-to-play, Electronic Arts decided to ditch the game's single-player to concentrate on cooperative and competitive play, but that's no longer the case, an official tells Polygon.

"Our intention with Command & Conquer is to create a triple-A experience," Frank Gibeau, president of EA Labels told Polygon in a recent interview. "And by that I mean we're using Frostbite tech, we're using very high-end graphics.

"Does that mean it's not going to have single-player? No, that's something we've obviously heard loud and clear that is important to people. The beauty of free-to-play, is that we can adjust and adapt to what we're hearing as opposed to, 'I'm sorry, it's two months from ship and it is what it is.' It's a very different model because you don't have to build as much. You build in response to your audience."

You can read the entire interview right here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My God this is awesome!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That was a great read. He makes a pretty good argument as to why they went F2P, and of course it's awesome to hear that the game will have a single player now :D

I think I liked how he said that since it's a free to play model the dev team has more room to listen to the fans and add/change things based off of community feedback

Good news, but you know they had to cave at some point. The question that remains is how much the single player is going to cost.

What I find alarming is that he's mentioning SP as something of adjusting to the communities wishes. If they couldn't figure that one out on their own, how should they figure out the details of what makes the game? This makes the whole "it's free, just try it" argument void if you're supposed to act like some marketing guinea pig to get even the most basic wishes across.

It's nice to see some improvements along the SP lines, but I'm not exactly all that enthusiastic on how they'll pull it off. We'll just have to wait and see.

Oh here's an idea, lets all very loudly request a new faction of dwarfs with speedy race cars.

I hope they didn't just scrap the entire Generals 2 campaign idea, with BioWare-quality story in mind and are now just going to give us a hastily-assembled campaign, instead. They had 3 years to do this right, and considering it's now a F2P game, they can take their time to release the campaign. They have no excuse to half-ass it, and they better not.

Does anyone think they always planned for single player content anyway? And that Frank Gibeau let it slip they were, but the dev team were not in a position to discuss it. Either way, its good news.

I was thinking quite the opposite TBH. Cire's initial post read like "we're looking into it, don't count on it though". JVC's “I don’t think we’re making a list of the features yet" interview mentioned SP only as a "could" on top of a core of co-op skirmishes; not an actual quote though. Now this new one is talking about how they heard the cries for SP and how they "can adjust and adapt to what [they]'re hearing" - you don't adjust and adapt if that was what you already wanted to do all along.

Alas, they haven't said either position clearly. So that might just be my pessimism speaking. Why so serious? Let's hope they can put a smile on our faces. :)

Does anyone think they always planned for single player content anyway? And that Frank Gibeau let it slip they were, but the dev team were not in a position to discuss it. Either way, its good news.

Yeah, somewhat. I feel like singleplayer was always in the works, and with the shift to Free-to-play they started making multiplayer the higher priority. The more I watch the VGA "Director's Cut" Trailer, the more it looks like an intro cinematic to a mission.

1. Let's see... first, they'll release the F2P content without campaign, then the Generals campaign and then Tiberium/RA universes? Then, Tiberium campaign and then RA campaign, I suppose? Is it too ambitious, isn't it?

2. They contradict themselves. First, they tell us they're gonna release just 2 factions and no campaign, then 3 factions and campaign... WTF?

I don't understand.

EDIT: Just read the interview, and it says they aren't including Tib/RA universes, but just adding some tanks that belong to them... So, another contradiction... And I don't like this one.

Edited by TiberFCSL

Guest Rabbit

They're trying to listen to fans, it seems. Trying to, at the very least, is better than ignoring altogether.

On top of that, my guess is that different staff knows different information. I doubt they're all completely on board with every aspect of the game.

Well this is good news, I hope they make a half decent SP campaign and not just tack it on. :)

• Upvote 1

1. Let's see... first, they'll release the F2P content without campaign, then the Generals campaign and then Tiberium/RA universes? Then, Tiberium campaign and then RA campaign, I suppose? Is it too ambitious, isn't it?

Not necessarily.

That's the whole point of building up a Service. You build up a platform capable of sustaining anything - then it's... well like adding Mods to an existing engine, except it's built from the ground up to support this.

2. They contradict themselves. First, they tell us they're gonna release just 2 factions and no campaign, then 3 factions and campaign... WTF?

No contradictions here.

They said that when it launches (and it launches with a Beta first), it will only have two factions.

They later added that another would be added later. NOT on launch.

This contradicts nothing they said before. It actually goes with the whole Service point they are [poorly] trying to make.

They always said that, as a Service, it will receive more content as time goes by. And since they didn't want to get into details in the announcement interviews, they let slip only recently that a third faction will be released sometime during beta.

Same goes for the campaign.

EDIT: Just read the interview, and it says they aren't including Tib/RA universes, but just adding some tanks that belong to them... So, another contradiction... And I don't like this one.

You read the interview wrong.

The site itself wrote it wrong.

The SERVICE wil have Tib and RA. Well, that's the plan.

Gibeau only mused about the inter-universe unit discussions as something possible.

The two things are mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 2

Guest Stevie_K

Here's what I think will happen:

The game will have multiplayer as the base platform of the game, and campaigns will be available as DLC. It might be the best solution in order to satisfy such a divided community. I might be very wrong though, but hey it's just thoughts :P

Well this is good news, I hope they make a half decent SP campaign and not just tack it on. :)

The single player campaign was tacked on in Generals that's for damn sure. What was it? 5 or 6 random type missions with little or no story.

When compared with TD (especially the missions Seth is giving you) Generals wasn't that different in the story. There was an overlying arc but the missions themselves seemed pretty random. The story was definitely there, just underdeveloped.

Edited by Lauren

omg i cant believe those words are coming from a mouth of the EA!!!!!

no this has to be a dream, wake me up when its over .....now that i think of it, dont wake me up!!!! ^_^

The single player campaign was tacked on in Generals that's for damn sure. What was it? 5 or 6 random type missions with little or no story.

still the point is that they "got the message" and for the next universes, Red Alert and Tiberium we will get even better single player mode and story line!

Edited by Johnnyxp64

I highly doubt this. Even though EA will include SP to (assumed) Generals 2 as DLC or retail, it'll be decent anyway and not as epic than C&C Generals/Zero Hour. EA can't come up with another epic story to C&C.

Edited by zocom7

Guest Rabbit

I have literally no idea what you just said.

I highly doubt this. Even though EA will include SP to (assumed) Generals 2 as DLC or retail, it'll be decent anyway and not as epic than C&C Tiberian Sun/Tiberian Dawn. EA can't come up with another epic story to C&C.

Fixed.

The campaign would be a rushed job to appease the longtime fans and shut them up till the release. I will not be surprised if it became an epic failure like CnC4.

More than anything else I have enjoyed skirmish and comp stomps with friends in ZH. This seems to be a major part that is lacking.

I highly doubt this. Even though EA will include SP to (assumed) Generals 2 as DLC or retail, it'll be decent anyway and not as epic than C&C Generals/Zero Hour. EA can't come up with another epic story to C&C.

Still no sense. "Epic storyline" in Generals proves it.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf